Pemi Loop

Pemi Loop

Monday, September 22, 2014

Time to ramp up the Vitamin D

The Automnal Equinox is upon us which means the sun will be much lower on the horizon here in the northern states until the spring (Vernal Equinox).  This is the period of time when I ramp up my intake of Vitamin D.

Vitamin D is actually a hormone and is an important contributor to your health.  You can not possibly produce enough of this hormone during the winter months, no matter how much time you spend outside.  For this reason, you should strive to supplement with roughly 1,000 IUs of Vitamin D per 25 pounds of body weight. You should also get a blood test to check your levels from time to time to make sure you are maintaining an optimal level.  Finally, make sure you supplement with the D3 form of Vitamin D.  I personally take Natural Stacks Vitamin D3, which includes coconut oil, to aid in absorption.

I posted a great Vitamin D Infographic a bit ago, which provides a good overview of why this hormone is so important. I also encourage you to watch Dr. Rhonda Patrick's video, The "Vitamin D Sweet Spot" and Its Relationship To Aging:



As always, feel free to ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment