Pemi Loop

Pemi Loop

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Resistant Starch Experiment

I have read a lot about the benefits of resistant starch over the past few years.  I highly recommend you read posts on the subject by Mark Sisson and Chris Kresser to learn more about this form of starch.

I settled on Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch for my experiment.  This is classified as an RS2 form of starch.

I started out by consuming one teaspoon per day, taken about an hour before dinner.  I built up slowly to one tablespoon per day, which I continued for two months.  I should note that I did not take a probiotic during this time period, which might have been a mistake.

I did not notice any benefits, but did experience a decrease in gut health  (use your imagination).  This may be due to not taking a good probiotic during these two months.

I am now loading up on probiotics in hopes that I can make my gut happy again. I am rotating through Garden of Life Primal Defense UltraPrescript Assist and AOR ProBiotic 3.

I am unsure if I will try this experiment again with a probiotic.  I have read more posts on why RS2 might not be a good idea and is perhaps no more than hype.  A case in point is the lengthy blog post by Dr. BG.

Now to ponder the next big experiment.

Enjoy!


[UPDATE: January 9, 2015] - I have successfully re-seeded my gut using a combination of Mt. Capra Caprobiotics AdvancedMt. Capra CapracolostrumPrescript Assist, and AOR ProBiotic 3. I do not plan on re-starting resistant starch again any time soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment